An informed family can help reduce the risk of preventable harm - such as infections and medication errors - when at the hospital. You are a critical part of the caregiving team.
While visiting the hospital, here are tips to help keep your child safe:
- Be an advocate for your child.
- Always ask questions. Raise concerns. Speak up.
- Wash your hands and your child's hands, and make sure your caretakers wash their hands too.
- Keep the skin around the dressing of an intravenous catheter or a wound clean and dry. Tell your caregiver if it's not.
- Know your child's medications, and make sure your caretakers double check that the medication is for your child.
- Be prepared when going home by knowing your child's medications, treatments, and follow-up visits. Call back to ask questions.